Saturday, August 18, 2012

To Work and To Love


8th Sunday after Pentecost, Yr. B, July 22, 2012
Jeremiah 23:1-6; Psalm 23; Ephesians 2:11-22; Mark 6:30-34, 53-56
Sermon preached at St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church

         Here’s how I imagine the gathering at the beginning of our gospel story.  The apostles are returning in their pairs from the mission that Jesus has sent them out to do.  They are all talking at once. 
“Jesus, you’ll never believe what happened to us in Jerusalem.”
“Jesus, Andrew and I were so tired after walking that first night that I didn’t think we were going to make it into the city to find shelter.”
“Jesus, Peter and I got lost on the path to Jericho and I wanted to kill him for taking us down the wrong road.”
“Jesus, Nathaniel healed a blind woman and her husband was so grateful that he let us stay with them for a whole week!”
 “Jesus, I think I need a new pair of sandals.”

            They’d been sent out with one tunic and only a pair of sandals.  They had taken a staff, but bread and no money.  They had placed their trust in God and in fellow human beings.  Jesus had sent them out in pairs to preach repentance, to heal the sick and to exorcise demons.
They had done good work, very good work.  Their work was filled with adventure.  They had touched other people’s lives.  They saw needs, and creatively decided how best to meet them. They had the privilege of witnessing the results of their efforts.  They engaged people’s suffering and joy.  They encountered despair and hope.  Their work was truly meaningful.  Now they were back.  Oh the stories they had to tell Jesus, the challenges and the surprises; the truth they uncovered.  Finally, Jesus tells them it’s time to rest.  “Come away to some lonely place all by yourselves and rest for a while.”  So Jesus gets them all in a boat and sets off toward a lonely place.
At our clergy Bible study this week, many of us felt this passage gave us a great opportunity to talk about Sabbath, the importance of rest.  But it’s hard to talk about Sabbath, without first talking about work.  In fact much of what happens in these texts is “work”, good work … yes, but work nonetheless.  Dorothee Soelle was a German theologian.  In 1984 she wrote a great little book entitled, To Work and to Love: A Theology of Creation.  In it she talks about work and alienation through the lens of a woodcut sent to her by a friend.  The woodcut is a picture of a man chained to a treadmill.  Soelle says, “The treadmill is a poignant image of work as a curse, yet this is what work means for the majority of the population.”[1]  We may think of a treadmill as a piece of exercise equipment but she quotes the New Webster dictionary definition of treadmill.  It is “a mechanism consisting of a belt wound around two cylinders, kept in motion by a man (or a beast of burden) forced to tread it, and formerly used as an instrument of torture.”
How many of us describe our work as running on a treadmill?  We’d like to get off, but we can’t because work in our day is not about meeting society’s needs.  It is about making money that we need to survive.  In order to make money, many of us must resort to walking or running on a treadmill.  In today’s economy, I think that is especially true.  People are taking jobs they might not take if given other options.  Some might be eligible to retire, but the unpredictability of our economic recovery makes them think twice before giving up stable employment.  We’re tied to that treadmill.
Soelle says that being on the treadmill dehumanizes the worker and alienates us from the benefits of “good work”.  If we’re “on the treadmill” we don’t get to look up and see the product of our work.  Imagine for instance, that I work in the loading docks at the airport.  I probably hear way more about lost or damaged luggage then I do about all the bags that arrive safely and quickly after the plane lands.  Unless I work in the claims office, I probably don’t even see any of the people I’m serving … and they don’t see me either.  I’m a disembodied baggage handler. 
From my vantage point as a baggage handler I don’t have much opportunity to see the big picture either.  I don’t see the whole process beginning with the passenger stepping into the airport.  I don’t see them checking their bags, going through security, and walking to their gate.  I don’t see them waiting for a delayed flight, or boarding the plane.  I don’t interact with the flight crew or the housekeeping team that prepared the plane for boarding.  Planes come in and I load the cargo, refuel the plane and make sure the food is loaded properly.  The plane pulls out.  Another plane comes in and the process starts all over again.  Sure, I may understand that my part matters, but my part is pretty routine.  I probably don’t see much change in it from day to day. 
My work runs on someone else’s time schedule.  I’m not free to make decisions about how and when things happen.  I report to work at 5 am and I’m finished at the end of my shift.  By law, I am entitled to regular breaks, but when they’re over I better get myself back on the job … or risk losing it to someone who can work longer and harder. 
If I’m lucky I work with a team, and it’s the same team … so we have a some sort of working community … but I’m not sure how much input we really have in making our work more efficient or enjoyable.  It’s work.  Is it supposed to be fun?   On our trip to China, I sat next to a man who had worked as a baggage handler at the airport for fifteen years after serving in the military.  He was retired now.  He said that he didn’t miss his job.  “It’s hard work”, he said.  “It’s better for the younger guys to do it.”   “Sometimes”, he said, “you don’t even have to talk to one another because you just know what to do.  You’ve done it so often.  You know what needs to happen next and everyone does it.”  Every day, the same thing.
How many jobs in our society are like this?  Routine.  Repetitive.  Unsatisfying.  Lacking any creative expression.  Often poorly compensated.  Is it any wonder that we care so much about time off?  That we yearn for Sabbath time, for a break in the routine?  For the freedom to create?
Work that is vocation isn’t like this.  Nancy, Hannah and I took a quick trip to NJ this week to visit with Nancy’s father.  We stayed in several hotels.  One has stuck with me.  Everyone we met in that hotel seemed to enjoy working there.  They probably did some of the same work every day, but I don’t think it was exactly routine. 
When we checked in, the two men behind the counter kept up a cheerful banter with us.  They welcomed us in, and answered our questions.  They were really nice guys.  If the check in had taken longer I wouldn’t have minded at all.  They were quite entertaining.  When we got to the room and didn’t have enough toilet paper, I felt like I was calling a friend in the main office.  They apologized and sent up a new roll that arrived within minutes.
At the complimentary breakfast, two women stood at the door and greeted each person who entered.  They watched attentively as people found a table and gathered their food.  If it looked like someone was having trouble locating something they needed, one of the women was right there offering to help.  If something was going in the microwave, they were there showing you how to operate the controls.  When we changed tables to get away from the cold air blowing out of the air conditioner, they offered to turn it off so we wouldn’t have to move!  Even with all this personal attention, nothing was ever empty for long.  When anyone left, they wished her a nice day.  
After breakfast I went to the fitness room to do my walking.  Housekeeping was in there starting to clean the room.  They immediately offered to leave and come back when I was through.  One young man stayed behind to help me get my TV set up and working.  He even went and found a new remote control when the one in the room wasn’t working.  Later when we were leaving, I saw him in the lobby with a paint brush in hand, on his way somewhere down the hall.  He turned and caught my eye.  He smiled and asked if I had had a good walk.  “Yes, I did”, I answered.  “Thank you so much for helping me to get started.”  Then he wished me a good day. 
Everyone in that hotel engaged us.  Certainly they had tasks to accomplish, but their most important task seemed to be us!  They were there to serve guests ... also to be housekeepers and clerks and food handlers … but people were clearly the priority and they had the freedom to decide when and how to engage us.  They were part of a whole system of caring, and no matter what their part, they had the advantage of being allowed to connect personally with those they cared for.  They could interact with those who benefited from their work … much like the apostles did. 
I bet they went home at night, with stories to tell … of a woman helped in the exercise room … of families helped in the dining room … of people welcomed in for the night.  And then they went home to rest.  At least that’s how I like to imagine it, because I think that’s what God hopes for us.  We are part of the created world, created to be in relationship with all of creation … but most especially with other human beings.  We are a created people with natural gifts and talents that need to be used in meaningful work.  We are made in the image of God with the same curiosity and creativity at work within us. We were created for liberation, to freely contribute to the ongoing work of creation in the world.  And then to rest, because we are made from dust.  We are finite.  Only God has the capacity to work without resting.   Sabbath is Gods blessing on our labors.   

Amen.


[1] Soelle, Dorothee.  To Work and to Love, Fortress Press, Philadelphia,1984, p.55.

No comments:

Post a Comment