Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Waiting on God


16th Sunday after Pentecost, Yr. B, September 16, 2012
Isaiah 50:4-9a; Psalm 116:1-8; James 3:1-12; Mark 8:27-38
Sermon preached at St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church

Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers and sisters, for you know that we who teach will be judged with greater strictness. (James 3:1) I was a teacher for many years, and now as a priest I continue to teach.  I used to worry about being judged by my students, and by my peers … but not so much anymore because I’m older, I am more comfortable with who I am.
My daughter is in fifth grade.  She still thinks that her teachers know everything.  Like most kids she gets homework.  She’s still young enough that I know most of what she is learning, at least the science, reading and math.  Social studies, well … not so much.  I don’t think I really learned anything about social studies until I had to teach it.  Sometimes Nancy or I will be helping Hannah with her math homework, and we’ll get into a little bit of a tuggle.  We’ll very patiently help her through the steps we would use to solve a problem, and she’ll be quick to let us know that “the teacher doesn’t do it that way.”  Usually, we try to reassure her.  “It’s good to learn different strategies for solving problems.  Then when you get stuck you have options”, we say knowingly.  We’re older.  Our experience should count for something.  With impatience evident in her voice she typically responds, “That’s not how you do it, Maiya.  The teacher does it a different way.”  Right.  Well, as you might imagine homework usually goes downhill from there.  The teacher knows.  In fact, teachers know more than we do.
I was fortunate to have many great teachers in my life, even after I realized they weren’t perfect.  I bet each of you has had a great teacher or two as well.  The teachers that stood out in my mind were the ones who weren’t afraid of mistakes, who weren’t afraid to say they didn’t know something; teachers who were actually excited by the challenge of learning something new and searching for answers.  My 9th grade biology teacher was one of those people.  Miss Hutchinson understood my passion for science. She nurtured my inquisitive mind.  She helped me plan and carry out experiments in the science lab during my study halls.  She encouraged me to enter science competitions, to pay attention to my questions, to look for truth.  She was a teacher that inspired me to learn and to stretch myself.  I admired her for what she knew, but I loved her for the joy she shared with me in learning how to discover things for myself.  She helped me learn who I was.
            Jesus asked his closest friends who people thought he was. They think you are Elijah or John the Baptist or one of the other prophets, they told him.  But then Jesus takes his question a bit deeper and says “who do you think that I am?”  Peter says, “you are the Messiah”.  That was a learning that came from his heart, not from his head.  Who do you say that I am?  Maybe that’s a question we should all stop and ask ourselves every once in a while.  Who are we?  Who are we as St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church?  Any idea?  What do you think other people would say if we asked them that question?
When I’m out in the neighborhood, or talking with guests at Sunday supper, I often hear people tell me how much St. Stephen’s does for the community.  They’re grateful that we’re here.  When I talk to people at committee meetings and community gatherings, I usually talk about everything we do.  I talk about all of our mission in the neighborhood.  So if I were to guess, I think most people would say we “do a lot for the neighborhood”, that we “care for the community” on the west side of the city, and I would be proud of that … but I also wonder if that is the only way we want to be known.  Is that all we are? 
We are a Body of Christ.  We offer a lot to people, and a lot of people come here because they want and need things … food, transportation, help with rent, but we also want people to know that we are a spiritual center, that we are a prayerful place.  Do we see ourselves as a place for spiritual renewal and nourishment?  Who are we?  As we look toward studying a little bit about the Missional Church movement, I hope we don’t forget about how our spiritual life together is also missional.  Who we are, is just as important as what we do, and the teacher who knows us best and can reveal the most to us about ourselves is God. 
I started thinking about this last year, and that is what prompted the three series of classes on prayer earlier this year.  It’s what prompted me to invite Rev. Canon Al Keeney back to help us begin a rhythm of Simple Presence in community on the first and third Thursdays of the month.  It’s what prompted me to teach the Lord’s Prayer in sign language.  It’s what has prompted me to do some prayerful drumming with the youth at Freedom Kids Camp.  It’s what makes me think drumming as an opportunity for prayer, or offering healing prayer as a part of our service.  Who do people say that we are? 
The Church belongs to God, not us.  So the real answer will come from God.  One way to listen for God is through a practice of Centering Prayer, a prayer of simple presence.  In centering prayer, you set aside some time to intentionally open ourselves to God, and we wait.  Today, we’re going to try a little bit.  For some this will be new.  For others it will be a little gift of time to practice.
So first find a comfortable position.  Put your feet flat on the floor and your back against the pew.  Take a moment to stretch your necks or your shoulders to get the kinks out.  Before we begin think of a word or phrase that reminds you of God, and hold it gently in your mind.  Gently close your eyes.  Take a moment to invite God into this time, to be with you, to be with us.  We’re going to sit quietly for just 5 minutes.  I’ll start and end us with a bell.  As you sit, let go of thoughts.  If you find thoughts entering your mind … say your word or phrase in your head … and let them go.  Don’t beat yourself up over it.  Just let it go and return to waiting on God. 
When you hear the second bell, open your eyes.  We will continue with our service.  Who are you?  A child of God.  Who are we?  The Body of Christ.  Remember that God waits for us with the same deep desire that we have for God, and the opportunity to grow in faith is the same for us as it was for Peter and the disciples. 

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment