Monday, December 3, 2012

The Reign of Christ


Last Sunday after Pentecost, Yr. B, November 25, 2012
Daniel 79-10, 13-14; Psalm 93; Revelation 1:4b-8; John 18:33-37
Sermon preached at St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church

            The readings from Daniel and Revelation are part of the apocalyptic literature in the Bible.  We tend to think that this type of literature is all about retribution and annihilation.  It portrays a kind of end time that most of us don’t particularly look forward to, an end that ushers in the victory of God by means of a great war between the forces of good and the forces of evil.  There have been times in my life when I felt that these writings weren’t particularly helpful to my spiritual life. 
            But as I look around in the world today, and I see so many of our young adult males, particularly males of color, dying in our streets, and as I look up the names of those killed in our military every week now, I find myself seeing these stories from a different perspective.
  These are stories of hope.  They are the epic stories of good triumphing over evil, stories born out of suffering and oppression that proclaim God’s power and desire to create an order where justice prevails, where evil is vanquished for all eternity, where the good receive their reward.  It’s a world vastly different than the one the writers were living in.  These are stories of hope proclaimed in the midst of a despairing world.   These are stories of faith.
            How many of us still think we need this kind of story?  These stories were written by people in desperate times.  Have we ever felt THAT desperate, that powerless?  Have I ever found myself in a position where I was powerless to change my situation, either because of oppression, or lack of resources, or lack of social connections that could access resources for me?  Have I ever felt that powerless?  Only once or twice, and only for a brief period of time. 
            When I was beginning my last year of college, I talked my mother into letting me drive back to school in Indiana without a place to live.  I kept telling her it wasn’t a problem.  If I needed to, I told her that I could sleep in my car.  It all sounded like a great adventure until it started getting dark, and I had to start thinking about where to park the car if I was going to sleep there.  The car was still packed full of my stuff.  Not only did I have to “sleep” in the driver’s seat, but the car was packed so full that the seat back couldn’t recline.  I didn’t have money for a hotel.  There was no going back.  Since it was my fifth year at college, most of the people I felt comfortable asking for floor space had graduated the year before.  The darker it got, the more I knew I didn’t want to sleep in that car.
            For me, it was just going to be one night, but for others it can be weeks or months.  About five years ago Steve Brigham quit his job and founded Tent City in Lakewood, NJ on land that is owned by the town.  Brigham started Tent City as a response to increasing homelessness due to the Great Recession.  Brigham describes many of the residents as the “’new homeless’, individuals who but for the bad economy, would be working and able to live independently.” [1] Most are still looking for work, but for now can’t afford the home they once had.  Brigham says, “The cost of housing is outrageous.  It’s $21 an hour for an individual in this area to afford a one-bedroom apartment, a used automobile and the basic necessities of life.  And the government, the social services, won’t help somebody if they make over $7 an hour.”[2]  Brigham lives in a donated school bus on the land.  Others live in tents, some for more than a year.  There is a common area where residents gather to prepare food and eat together.  They have a stove fueled by propane gas that anyone can use.  It’s a meager existence. 
When you recognize the limits of your own power, faith is the most powerful weapon you have.  Faith has gotten people through countless life threatening situations, through life in concentration camps, through deep bouts of depression, through the loss of loved ones.  It’s enabled people to live through slavery, the crusades and other horribly abusive times in our history.  It’s a part of living through many of today’s troubles as well.  A future with hope, is a story that depicts a reality that allows life to flourish, but it doesn’t have to involve the vicious end of the forces of destruction that snuff life out like the flame on a candle.  It can be a gentler, kinder story.
            Marilyn Berenzeig moved to Tent City 18 months ago after she lost her job.  She and her husband have already spent one winter there.  She’s 61.  “I just feel so badly for the people hanging on by their finger nails because that’s what we were doing” she says, “hanging on by our finger nails, scared to death of the next day and what was going to happen”.  But that’s not the way things are for her now.  Now she has a community.  She says, “If I’d realized that this would be the alternative, I’d have been so relieved.”[3]   I wonder if she would ever have imagined that a tent city would be a story of hope?  I wonder if we see it that way?
            Are there other stories of hope that need to be shard, stories of belonging and purpose, stories of dignity and community.  Who needs these stories today?  Our city school children, for one.  Malik Evans, Rochester City School Board President said, “Our data is showing us we have about 300 kids who are not showing up to school.  School started the second week of September and as many as 1,500 students aren't there half the time.” [4]   Think they could use some stories of hope?   Maybe they’re not there because they don’t have any hope?
                        How about some of the people who come for fresh produce from Foodlink on Wednesdays?  Like often happens, people start lining up at our door around noon for the 1:30 pm give away.  The truck was about an hour and a half late this week.  That means those who came earliest were waiting about three hours to get food.  By that time, everyone was a little edgy.  A few people have a bad habit of budging in the front of the line.  This week, one of the men in line stood up to them, and told them to go to the back of the line.  He didn’t do it in a friendly manner either.  I was signing people in, and I asked him to be patient, but he was beyond being patient.  “It’s the same people.  They come every time and budge in the front.”  I knew the one woman.  I wasn’t surprised that she budged in.  “Try to be kind”, I said.  “She has a few issues.”  “We all have issues”, the man yelled, “or we wouldn’t be in this line.”  He was right.  Life wasn’t easy for any of them.  They could all use stories of hope.

The Kingdom of God is more about what we share, then about what we have.  It’s more about how we live than about where we live.  It’s more about building relationships than it is about building things.  It’s about belonging and purpose and power.  Look at the teachers and parents of School #16 students?  School #16 is on the superintendent’s list for closing if the school board approves the plan.  This year the students are being housed at Freddie Thomas School over on Scio St. on the east side of the city.   19th Ward leaders are trying to organize people to bring the school back to the neighborhood.  They see the value of having a quality school in the neighborhood.  They see the current system creating even more distance between parents and schools, and putting up more barriers to academic success.  They’re committed to a dream.  They have a story of hope.  It’s making a difference.  
We have stories of hope to share too, Stories from our own experience.  I never had to spend that night in my car.  I ran into some friends who were sharing a house.  They offered me a room for the night, and until I found place of my own.  When they saw the place I was planning to move into, they went and picked up my belongings.  They offered me a bed in their house.  Each of us has stories of being surprised by joy, but tat’s not all.  We also have foundational stories, stories of justice prevailing, of love enduring, of good prevailing.  They’re apocalyptic stories, end time stories, that guide our lives today … that lead us to act in loving kindness and compassion.  They remind us of what is to come, so that we can choose our way wisely.  God’s dream is our dream if we only believe. Then we join others living today’s stories of hope … so that we can share the enduring stories of hope that are ours ... so that we can celebrate the reign of Christ together.  That is our gift to the world.

Amen.



[1] Melone, Katie, Tent City, Odyssey Network, http://www.odysseynetworks.org/video/tent-city, Tue. 11/29/2011.
[2] Ibid.
[3] Ibid.
[4] Adams, Lynette Adams, RCSD talks about truancy problem.  11/09/2012 7:35 PM | Updated at: 11/09/2012 8:33 PM.  WHEC.com, http://www.whec.com/news/stories/s2829778.shtml?cat=565.

No comments:

Post a Comment