Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Bent by a Spirit


14th Sunday after Pentecost; Yr. C, August 25, 2013
Isaiah58:9b-14; Psalm 103:1-8; Hebrews 12:18-29; Luke 13:10-17
Sermon preached at St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church

            For our marriage blessing two years ago a friend gave us a butterfly bush.  They’re beautiful bushes with bright purple brushes of flowers.  I was excited to get it and enjoyed walking around the yard to see where it might fit.  I finally planted it behind our garage in an area that had been covered with violets.  It did well into the fall, and then like many plants lost its leaves for the winter months.  In the spring I was excited to see how it would burst back into life.  I anticipated those brilliant spires of color like I would fireworks on the 4th of July. 
            But when spring turned into summer, the plant failed to thrive.  Each leaf struggled forth from its bud and several of the main stems turned brown and died.  Afraid that my new shrub wasn’t going to last the summer, I began watering it more faithfully and adding fertilizer to give it strength.  As the long summer days faded to fall, it was still limping along … bent and stubby.  Blossoms were faded and few.  Clearly, its spirit was breaking.

            This spring, I did some overhauling in our gardens.  Remembering the butterfly bush, I began to seek out a new home for it in the yard. Clearly, it wasn’t going to survive much longer where it was.  More sun might do it some good.  I dug it up, and planted it at the side of the house near our mailbox.  I trimmed back the dead wood, leaving one stem and a few leaves.  Within a short time new leaves started to emerge, and new shoots began pushing forward from the stem.  Because of where it’s planted I look at it almost everyday.  The blossoms right now are plentiful.  It’s not really thriving yet, but I can see some potential there.  The light of the sun has given it strength, and that bent despairing plant has displayed a new spirit for life.
            Our bodies and spirits, the flesh and the soul, are inseparable.  The Hebrews knew that.  They never spoke about one without understanding that they were speaking about both.  A body without a spirit just didn’t exist.  That nephesh, that breath of God that enlivened the body was essential to life.  Without it, the body was nothing but the dust from which it was made.  
            One day Jesus is teaching in the synagogue, and it’s a Sabbath day.  And just then there appeared a woman with a spirit that had crippled her for eighteen years.  She was bent over and was quite unable to stand up straight. (Luke 13:10)  A spirit had crippled her … for eighteen years.  Does that make any sense to us?  The idea of a spirit crippling someone? 
            My mother suffered from depression.  When I was in middle school, I got my own key to the house, because by then, my mother had returned to working outside the home.  She was a nurse, and worked nights.  Invariably, there were days I would forget my key.  I’d get home from school and find myself locked out of the house.  Mom would be upstairs in bed, asleep.  Nothing could wake her.  I’d climb up onto the garage roof, and boost myself up onto the playroom roof to throw small stones at her bedroom window.  She never heard me calling.  In the end, I’d wait for one of my brothers or sisters to come home with a key to get inside. 
When it was getting close to dinnertime, Mom would often still be in bed.  We’d draw straws to see who would go upstairs to try to wake her … to ask her what we were going to have for dinner … and then to fight about who was going to make it … because Mom just couldn’t get up to help.  She was depressed, but we didn’t know any different. 
Then one day I got a phone call at college.  My mother announced that she had gone to see a doctor.  That he had diagnosed her with depression, and she had started taking medication.  “I have depression”, she told me on the phone … like it was news.  “Of course you do”, I thought to myself.  Shouldn’t that have been obvious to us all?  But it wasn’t.  “So how’s the medicine working”, I asked.  “Great!  I’m gaining some weight, which I’m not too happy about … but I feel like getting out of bed now.  I have so much energy.”  All it took was a little knowledge, and the right medication.  Imagine that.  My mother was a woman bent for at least eighteen years.  Mental illness can do that to a person.  It can break your spirit, and keep you bent.  I wonder sometimes what kept her from giving up completely.  I think it was her faith.  I think it was prayer.
            We’re celebrating the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington this month.  We’re celebrating it because for decades in our country, people of color were a people bent by the burden of oppression.  Even if they were brilliant, they didn’t have access to quality education.  Even if they worked hard, they didn’t have access to jobs that paid well.  Even if they were sick and dying, they weren’t admitted to hospitals with the resources to heal them.  Even if they had the money, they weren’t welcomed in white neighborhoods.  Everything they saw in the white world bent them lower … and tried to crush their spirits.  Hate is a spirit that can eat away at our soul like a worm.  Despair is a spirit that can cripple the strongest among us.  These kinds of spirit can take away our will to live. 
            But there is another spirit out there, the Spirit of God.  That’s a Spirit that builds us up.  The black church is full of it.  It has a long history of looking to Jesus for healing and relief, a history of calling on Jesus … as brother, as friend, as Lord … for strength and endurance.  We see it in the hymns we sing in Lift Every Voice & Sing. In Have a little talk with Jesus, in O what a morning, in Sweet, sweet spirit.  Our African American brothers and sisters have leaned on the everlasting arm of Jesus for years, and that led them on the path of nonviolent resistance when others wanted to use force.  It awakened God’s spirit within people … and two young men found the courage to sit at a lunch counter in a white restaurant … and a woman named Rosa Parks refused to go to the back of the bus … and a man named John Lewis dared to lead a march from Selma to Montgomery … and a young preacher named Martin Luther King, Jr. dared to stand up and speak truth in faith … and white advocates began joining with their brothers and sisters of color in protests in the fight for civil liberty.  It was a spirit that lifted heads, and raised voices in prophetic witness.  It was a spirit of freedom.  It’s a spirit that comes from God, a free gift for us all.
            The woman who was bent low by a spirit didn’t ask for healing, but Jesus offered it anyway.  There’s no indication that the healing was a reward either.  It was pure gift.  There are forces in our lives that threaten to bend us right down to the ground, so that all we can see is the dirt and hard gravel of bitterness and despair … but Jesus offers us a way to reach upward toward the sky and breathe deeply again.  Through repentance and reconciliation, through forgiveness and mercy, through love and acceptance … we can learn to stand together as people committed to standing straight and tall.  We can respect the dignity of every human being, knowing that at one time or another we have all found ourselves “bent” by a spirit that binds us.  We can benefit from the wisdom earned in those struggles, so that we do not, in our ignorance, bring others low.  God sent Jesus so that we might have life and joy in abundance.  So that when we find ourselves looking into the soil of sadness or grief or uncertainty or shame or unworthiness or fear or anger … we can see in the dirt the loving lines of Jesus traced there … and remember who we are.  We are God’s beloved creatures, valued beyond measure, and that is our hope.  That is the Spirit of truth. 

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment