Monday, September 29, 2014

We Are One in the Spirit

16th Sunday after Pentecost; Yr. A, September 28, 2014
Exodus 17:1-7; Psalm 78:1-4, 12-16; Philippians 2:1-13; Matthew 21:23-32
Sermon preached at St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church

Before writing this sermon, I went back and re-read the one I wrote for my last Sunday in June.  I wrote about making space.  I prayed that we would all have a sabbatical that would allow us to make space to hear and see God in our lives.  And then I read that story from Exodus.  The Israelites are wandering in the wilderness after being released from slavery and they’re complaining to Moses.  “We’re in the middle of a desert here, Moses. And there’s no water around here to drink.  What are you going to do about it?”  Moses was raised in the palace of the Pharaoh’s daughter.  After fleeing Egypt himself, he was a shepherd.  Moses has no idea what to do about it.  Moses goes to God, frustrated, angry, and feeling a little threatened by the mob’s demands.  They are almost ready to stone me.” He says.  God tells Moses to go ahead of them and strike a rock.  God will bring water from the rock to satisfy the people.  So Moses does what God commands, and God does what God has promised.  God provides refreshing water for everyone.
It occurred to me that part of hearing God results from seeking God.  I spent my sabbatical seeking God.  I had become so busy with stuff that hearing God was really difficult.  I was hearing a lot of demands, like Moses, not necessarily from all of you, but from the mob that was inside my own head.  From the beginning, starting with those first three days at Cobblestone Retreat Center, I tried to put the demanding side of me to bed, and rekindle a relationship with the side of me that knows and seeks God’s voice.  It was a journey of the heart, not the head. 
I don’t think I realized how much I was missing.  It took a few weeks for me to feel comfortable leaving my cell phone at home.  I almost always have it with me … just in case someone calls and I need to respond.  For the first time in a long time, I felt like I had time to read something and reflect on it or journal about it, and contemplate what it might mean for me, and for my relationship with God.  I found myself leaning into whatever experience I was having, paying attention to what was going on the moment, and nothing in the future was pulling me away from the present.  The mob was stymied.  They had nothing to complain about.  I was doing all I was supposed to do … giving myself over to the moment and whatever that moment entailed … playing with my daughter, embroidering, reading, kayaking on the lake, painting the back wall of the cottage, laughing so hard my face hurt, inspecting my bee hive, listening to someone else’s sermon, walking on a country road in Vermont, experiencing church in different places, spending time with old friends, walking and talking for hours, rekindling a love affair with daily prayer, sleeping soundly every night and not waking to an alarm.  I’m sure some of you are jealous, and if I were sitting in your seat, I would be too!  But I am here.  Standing in the front, and I am feeling incredibly grateful.  I had no idea how very tired I was.  You gave me time to rest, time to go look for God, and I found that I could find God all over the place.  The Israelites ask Moses, “Is the Lord among us or not?”  Well, God is. 
The Lord is among us. 
On sabbatical, I remembered that helping us experience that as a faith community is one of the things that excites me most about being a priest.  I am really excited about looking at our Sunday worship and experimenting with it, to see if there is anything we need to do to make “us with God” more evident.  I want our worship to say something about those of us in this place, something more than the fact that we are an Episcopal congregation.  That’s why I’d like to have a Kirkin’ of the Tartans in November to celebrate those among us who share a Scottish ancestry.  Maybe our Jamaican members will help us put together a Jamaican celebration, with some of their hymns and tunes, and with many of their voices heard in the service.  That’s why we’ll celebrate the Children’s Sabbath in October and have our own Blessing of the Animals next week.  I want our worship to reflect us.
I want to spend more time with you than I do with my computer.  That’s another reason I became a priest, because I love people.  I want to hear more about the struggles and joys in your lives than I do about the building, or conflicts in the diocese.  I want to have the time to visit you in your homes, to see where you live and get to know you as spiritual companions.  I want to earnestly pray with you to hear what God has in store for us and to hear what God is speaking into our hearts.
I want to find ways to be with people in the neighborhood, to be a church of the neighborhood, not just in the neighborhood.  People in the neighborhood know us because we do a lot here.  We give and give and give to them.  I want to be with people just to be with them, not because they show up to get something from us, like gift cards for Tops, or bus passes or help with their rent.  Should we still do that, of course!  But I also want to hang out with people and invite them to serve with us.  I want to hear what’s important to them in the neighborhood.  I want to hear what God is already doing there.  When Georgia told me that five or six people came back to church to sit at the Farm Stand on Thursday evenings, I was thrilled!  We’re out there, talking with people, giving them something they can’t get anywhere else … us and ears to listen!  We’re there to be with them, just as God is with us.  We discover God in each other.
When I was at Cobblestone, I mentioned to one of the sisters that I was looking at this sabbatical time as a time of discernment.  She told me this story.  She said several years ago she was asked to run for a position in their congregation.  It was an honor to be nominated, but it was also a big responsibility.  When someone wanted to nominate you, they wrote you a letter.  In it they outlined all the gifts and talents that they saw in you that fit the needs of the position.  This sister got a letter.  She agreed that she had the gifts that the other sister saw in her, but she had just started working on Cobblestone.  She knew it was going to take a lot of her time. 
So like Moses, she went to God.  She decided to use her experience with Ignatian spirituality to help her.  St. Ignatius encouraged his followers to use their imagination in partnership with scripture in discernment.  So she chose the story of Jesus walking on the water toward the disciples in the boat.  She remembered how Peter had recognized Jesus and Jesus had called him to step out of the boat and walk to him on the water.  So she set herself to the task. In her mind she imagined herself in the boat, and when she recognized Jesus walking toward her she held the question in her heart, and waited for an answer.  She expected to see herself step out like Peter and maybe splash into the water … or walk, but instead … as clear as day … she heard Jesus yell, “Stay in the boat!”  She knew in that moment, he was right.  Her heart was in the work she was already doing.  She wanted to create a place of respite for people, and it was going to demand everything she had to give.  It was a horrible time for her to allow herself to be nominated for anything.  She respectfully declined the request.
            I was in Maine when Steve Burrows called and left a message telling me that we had gotten the grant to replace our old boiler, the one I’ve been waiting to blow up under me one day.  I couldn’t believe it.  I called him back and said, “Did you say that we got the grant?  That we got all the money?”  Well, we sure did.  I was ecstatic!  As I sat there on the porch, with a big smile on my face, and let that information sink in, I heard as clear as a bell, something in me say … it is finished.  It is finished.  It felt like a message from God.  That was in July.  I spent the rest of my sabbatical time trying to figure out what exactly that meant.  What … exactly … was finished?
            Well, I think I’m done worrying about the building.  That boiler was the one big thing that would just about force us to close our doors or go running to the diocese to borrow money we can’t afford to repay in my lifetime.  Getting that grant was a huge relief.  It made me realize how much that weighed on me.  It was like realizing I was really thirsty for water when I’d been drinking Coke.  The building sucks me dry, and it’s sucked a few others dry too.  But, the building is now in pretty good shape and it’s used extensively for mission.  Oh sure, we could still do something with the parish hall, but that old floor and those dark walls aren’t going to prevent us from continuing our ministry here.  We can take our time with that one.  For the first time in seven years, I feel like we’re free.  Now what?
            That’s our task … finding the answer to now what God.  That’s always the task of the church, to listen for the voice of our ultimate authority and then pray for the will to follow it.  Now what?   It’s a fascinating question.  One I hope, the vestry and I and all of you will be asking a lot more often now.  One I’m sure we’ll hear an answer to … at least answer enough for us to take the next step.  I am happy to be back, and happy to be walking this way with you.


Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment