Sunday, February 5, 2012

Healing and Wholeness


5th Sunday after the Epiphany, Yr. B; January 22, 2012
Isaiah 40:21-31; Psalm 147:1-12, 21c; 1 Corinthians 9:16-23; Mark 1:29-39
Sermon preached at St. Stephen's Episcopal Church

In the gospel story we just heard, Jesus and his new found disciples enter the house of Simon .  Imagine yourself a woman in this household with your grown son-in-law, his brother and three of his friends showing up on your doorstep, one a rising gang leader.  The men in your family are fishermen, and work hard to eek out a meager existence.  Your son-in-law, his brother and two of their friends have dropped out of the family business to run off with this young radical named Jesus, leaving their fathers holding the nets that feed their family.  If I were part of that family, I’d be feeling a little sick myself, really sick!
But we’re not the ones who are sick.  Simon’s mother-in-law is.  We’re not told why she’s sick, just that she has a fever.  What we do know is that she is a mother-in-law living in a son-in-law’s house.  This in itself is odd.   Women married and went to live with their husband’s family.  If a woman was lucky, she married a first cousin, and her new family was one that had close ties with her family of origin.  If the woman’s husband died, she would go live with one of his brothers.  A woman didn’t go live with a son-in-law unless the rest of her husband’s family was dead, unless she had nowhere else to go … unless she was destitute.[1]
So the mother-in-law we hear about in this gospel is a woman who has lost everything, not just family and home … but self-respect as well.  She has lost her reason for being.  She has no household of her own.  She runs no family.  She has lost her power and authority.  Maybe that is why we find her in bed with a fever.  We can’t know.   We can only guess.  What we do know is that people with mental illness and most forms of sickness in the first century suffered social consequences.  They were isolated and alone, often shunned or shamed. So no matter what the affliction or what the true cause, to the larger society they were considered “broken” or “unclean”.
When Jesus came into the home, Simon and Andrew told Jesus about their mother-in-law.  They told him about her fever at once.  We don’t know why.  My modern mind always assumed it was because they were concerned about her, but maybe they told Jesus so quickly because they thought he would want to avoid her.  Maybe they were warning him, so he wouldn’t mistakenly touch her and become infected, or made “unclean” by her infirmity.  We don’t know their motivation any more than we know what caused the fever.  But we do know how Jesus responded to her.   Jesus went and took her by the hand and lifted her up.  Jesus went to her, and touched her.  He reached across a boundary; he connected with her.  He lifted her up. 
Over the weekend I traveled to Baltimore, MD to attend a yoga and drumming retreat.  At the closing worship, the last thing we did before leaving, was to bless one another.  We were all standing in a large circle, about thirty of us.  We counted off by two’s and then turned to face our partner.  I was paired with a man that I had sat with once or twice at our meals.  I didn’t know him well.  I didn’t really know anyone well.  I had gone to all the sessions, but had taken advantage of most of the free time to be by myself.  I hadn’t had much conversation with anyone except at meals.  So at the end of this retreat, I find myself standing face to face with this man I hardly know.
We’re both feeling a little awkward when the facilitator says that the blessing will involve some physical touch.  She instructs us to ask our partner if touching is okay … because some of us just may not be touchy feely people, and that’s okay.  She assures us that we can still participate in the blessing without touching each other.  But my partner and I agree that the touching is okay.  I mean, it can’t be that bad; can it?  We’re at a retreat, and we’re in a large group. 
When the leader tells us to decide who should go first, I point at my partner.  I’ve done blessings before … let him have a chance … I thought.  The first instruction is this.  If you are the one doing the blessing, look at your partner with eyes that are filled with love and compassion.  Have you ever looked into the eyes of another person for more than a few seconds?  It’s not easy.  The temptation to look away is immense … especially when the eyes are unfamiliar and yet tender. 
The power of the eyes was enough, but then we started the prayer.  My partner placed his hands on my head while the facilitator led the blessing.  I felt the tears welling in my eyes when he moved his hands to my cheeks.  By the time he placed his hands gently on my shoulders, a tear was trickling down my cheek.  We ended the blessing with an embrace.  Then we started over, this time … I had the privilege of offering the blessing. 
I don’t remember the prayer.  I know there was something in there about courage and strength and faith and love … but what I remember most poignantly is the touch.  Gentle hands … on my head …  on my cheeks … on my shoulders … and the eyes looking steadily into my own with compassion.  There was an amazing power in that touch that pierced my heart … and brought unexpected tears and thankfulness.  I thought about all those who do not have the regular experience of loving touch in their lives … the elderly who live alone … the sick … the incarcerated… all those who find themselves living far away from family.  There are so many.
Jesus came and took her by the hand and lifted her up.  We are meant to do the same.  The Church has this same potential to reach across boundaries to touch those who are deemed broken or “dirty’ or unimportant or useless by our society.  The Church has the power to touch and heal those places in our world where despair and isolation have taken root … to be a light, but we have to choose to cross boundaries, to touch those we might be warned to stay away from. 
Jesus came and took her by the hand and lifted her up.  Then the fever left her and she began to serve them.  The Greek word used for serve in this reading is diakonia.  It’s the same word that was used earlier in Mark when Jesus is in the wilderness and the angels wait on him.  The word deacon comes from that same root.  Diakonia is holy service, the service we do for others in the name of God.  It can only be expressed when we reach out to another.  Simon’s mother-in-law was healed and she immediately rose and began serving out of the very same love that had healed her.  She was the first deacon, serving as an agent of God’s loving compassion in her own home.  She had a renewed sense of purpose that nothing else had been able to fill.  She was freed to serve in love … and freed to accompany others on the road to healing. 
Our lives can be a blessing to others.  Our way of living can be a sign of God’s love.  Maybe that’s what those tears were about for me last weekend, a feeling of God’s boundless love.  Any blessing is God’s blessing.  Even when I offer a blessing, I’m asking God to do the work through me.  What a privilege I have.  It’s one of the last things we share near the end of our worship … a blessing.  I ask God to bless you and me, because we are all standing on the threshold of diakonia.  We’re getting ready to burst through those doors and go out into the world to begin serving in the name of God.  And after everything else is done, Lynne, our deacon, commissions us to go out and cross boundaries.  She says, go in peace, to love and serve the Lord.  In one church I visited, I heard the dismissal said this way.  “Go in peace.  Our worship has ended, let our service begin”.  In essence, we leave full, full of the Spirit that will lead us into boundary crossing in radical love, in a world waiting for healing, with people broken just as we are broken, just as Jesus was broken, with people longing to see the light of hope that Christ offers all. 

Amen.


[1] Pilch, John J.  The Cultural World of Jesus: Sunday by Sunday Cycle B.  The Liturgical Press, Collegeville, MN, 1996.   p. 31-32.

No comments:

Post a Comment